“…once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.”
~Proverbs 24:12



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blessed Reunions

It’s so good to be back with B and C! We’ve missed them so much over the last month and a half, so our reunions were nothing less than fabulous!

I woke up this morning not feeling well. Not well at all. Derek was worried I wasn’t going to make it to the baby homes, however it would have to take one heck of a bug to keep me away! We had the wonderful and FREE! breakfast buffet to give us the fuel for our face-paced day. (Since we are unlike most adoptive families in that we are adopting two at once—and not only that, but two in two different locations—our days are usually jam-packed.) Then we were on our way to see our babies!

I got so nervous on the way to see C. I was practicing my Russian—“NEE BOISS-ya” (don’t be afraid) “fsyoh ha-ra-SHOH” (everything is okay)—in preparation for what may have been to come. All bundled up, we walked in through the baby home’s gate and up the path to the main door. We noticed an evergreen decorated with ornaments and twinkle lights near the snow-covered playsets out front. As our driver manually entered the code allowing us to enter the baby home, I felt my heart begin to beat faster. We set down our bags, put on our flimsy blue plastic booties and took off our coats. Was I sweating because I was so anxious, or because it was 80 degrees inside? Probably both. We walked the three flights of stairs to her group’s playroom, where we waited for our C…

Once the caregivers saw us, their voices went up an octave and I could make out “Oh! N____!” (her current name) “Mama!” and “Papa!” as they were hurrying back to get our baby. And then they brought her. My first thought? There’s my beautiful baby girl! I’ve missed her so much! My second thought? She’s grown so much! Her face has matured in just the few weeks since we’ve last seen her. Her outfit was familiar to us. It was one she wore as a dress during our visit in October, which now looked more like a long sweater. It was so good to have her back in my arms. Indescribable, really. I’m not completely sure if she remembered us, but she warmed up to us so quickly that I think she might. One of her favorite “toys” is still the black camera lens cap. She put just about everything in her mouth—which has at least three more teeth since we last saw her!—except the teething toy we bought her. So much for good intentions! There was another couple in our room for several minutes with the boy they plan to adopt with the help of our AMAZING agency. I was chatting with them, getting to know them, when I felt something being moved about on my hand. C kept trying to hand me her stacking cups to get my attention so that I was focused 100% on her. What a princess! I was happy to oblige of course!


Then we were off to see B! A short 20 minute drive later and we were at his baby home. We couldn’t go in through the door we usually use, which takes us to practically directly to his group’s room due to renovations. Our driver took us in through the main door, so we stopped in to see the baby home director and pediatrician. She called to have B’s caregivers get him ready and bring him down to us. While we waited, she educated us a little on what the judge has been asking adoptive families in court. “What makes you qualified to be parents to two children?” (being a teacher would help me there, hopefully saying that I teach a weekly class to two-year-olds will be something…) “How have you interacted with them?” (I think the baby home directors will have good things to testify for us on that one) “Will you discipline your children?” “What are you plans regarding work and taking care of the children?” “Are you financially able take care of two children?” etc…

The doctor also informed us that after our first visit with B every one of his immediate caregivers and his physical therapists said that our visits with him made a very positive impact on him. He has thrived so much more since our encounter that short week. Due to the one-on-one attention we were able to give him, he has become more outgoing and confident and has been more interested in trying more “excelled” tasks. Yay! That is such great news for a Mommy to hear!

And then the door opened…

Quite frankly, I was expecting tears. What we got was a timid (I wouldn’t even use the word scared) little boy. Our B! He had a haircut since we last saw him, though his beautiful, shiny black hair was as thick as ever—just like his Papa! He took his stacking cups from our bag in one hand and Papa’s hand in the other and we headed off to the playroom. He wasn’t as rambunctious as he was when we left him more than a month ago, but we did get to see an equally wonderful side to him—his cuddly side. B just leaned up against Papa or lay on Papa’s stomach for most of the time, his cute little hands so close to Derek’s face. B did much on some Gerber puffs (big surprise!) and even played his “Give one to Mama!/Give one to Papa!” game. Gosh, I love that boy! What produced the biggest smiles was when I tickled his belly or gave his belly loud kisses. He loved that and I, in turn, loved making him happy like that.


After our morning meetings with our children, we visited St. Isaac’s Cathedral, the third largest domed cathedral in the world. It was a beautiful house of God with breathtaking mosaics, painting, columns and more.

That's Derek and our translator in the foreground.


For lunch we went to a great place we had visited on our first trip, though this time we were joined with the other couple (on their own first trip) and our driver/translator’s wife, who we had the pleasure of working with during the last two days of our first trip while her husband had to take a quick trip to Moscow. It was just a great group of people! After lunch (and our driver being pulled over by the Russian police for a traffic violation! Eek!), we were able to make one visit each to see our babies again. I can’t get enough of those kiddos!

We got back to the hotel around 6:30, stopped to chat with the couple who are on their first trip who incidentally are staying at the same hotel, and Skyped my parents to fill them in on the day’s events (who will then fill in Derek’s parents, since they don’t have access to Skype this week). After that we braved the cold and walked to one of our favorite Russian eateries, Stolle, where we had our “usual,” meat pies and tea. Mmmm…

Tomorrow it will be more of the same and I can’t wait. At some point tomorrow, we will meet with another of our agency’s employees to prepare for court. The woman who will educate us on what’s to come was actually the one who began the agency more than 20 years ago with the help of the main director who lives and works in the Sates. We’re definitely in good hands. The best, in our opinion, when it comes to adoption agencies. But… I’m still nervous. I wonder what would happen if EVERYONE had to go before a judge and prosecutor before becoming parents…

Love you all! For those who requested, no, demanded that I blog each day while we’re gone, I hope you approve!





7 comments:

Jodi said...

My heart is overwhelmed with joy as I read this account - Yes I approve and I am so thankful that you have shared!!! I love you ALL and cannot wait until you ALL can be together here and we can love on each of you!!!!!

Ber Bolton said...

Yippeee Skippeeee!!! That's all I've got...your wonderful experience has made me speechless (which by the way is VERY hard to do)! Love to all 4 of you!

Unknown said...

I hope your Wednesday is just as blessed as your Tuesday. I also hope you're feeling much better. Thanks for sharing. Keeping you in my prayers.

Laurie said...

I'm bubbling over with excitement for you!

Unknown said...

What a glorious day! Tomorrow will be even better I am sure! Thank you for taking the time to blog. Praying for smooth sailing.

MR said...

Love, love, love the pictures! Glad you had a great day. Cannot wait to read more in the days to come. As you very well know, you will be more than prepared for court by your great team. I was so nervous, but after the fact, realized how awesome our agency truly is in all areas! You all will be great!
Mary Rae

Dana said...

This is just the BEST!...Sooo happy for you all...and the love I can just FEEL from you r writing is making my heart swell!

Soooo excited for everything and can not wait to see those sweet baby faces!..Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...