“…once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.”
~Proverbs 24:12



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Powerful Chompers and Laser Rocket Arms

Today started with me finally getting a drinkable cup of coffee. I like my coffee stronger than most Americans, but this Russian coffee is stout! Half a cup of this coffee mixed with half a cup of hot milk finally did the trick! And thank goodness because I didn’t sleep well at all last night.


We were picked up at our usual time to go see C. After carrying her to the large playroom, we were joined with two other adoptive families—one of which is a family adopting a boy and working with the same agency as us. It was wonderful to see C so interested in others, yet able to return her focus to us and be her bubbly self. She even shared some of her puffs with the boy! (However, when it was her turn to start snacking, she mistook my hand for a puff and bit so hard she left a mark that is still there now! Yikes! She likes her puffs!)


When we met with the chief pediatrician, she indicated that C had just started crawling. Well, she sure was crawling like a champ today! We got the biggest smiles and giggles from her when she pulled herself up holding Mama’s or Papa’s hands. What a big girl! And she was so proud of herself, as she should be.

C pulling herself up with Mama’s hands to help her

After visiting her this morning, we went to the Notary, where we signed official documents stating that we met and got acquainted with our referrals and that we “like them very much,” and we would like to proceed with their adoption. This will be filed in Moscow and then we wait for our court date. Our in-country coordinator prepared us for the fact that it is not likely we will have them home before the end of the year. :-( It won’t keep me from praying for just that, however.

During the kiddos’ lunch and afternoon nap, we visited The Yusupov Palace (where Rasputin was killed) and its gorgeous state rooms. Because of the orate antique parquet floors, I was required to put booties on over my heels. Nice. Though, nothing unfamiliar as we have to wear plastic-bag-type-booties every time we enter either of the baby homes.



We saw B this afternoon. Let me first say that both Derek and I prepared ourselves before we left for Russia that there would be a good chance that B would cry and cry at every visit. When meeting with the director of his baby home, we were informed he does not like change very much. Imagine our surprise when after we walked into his groupa’s room, he walked over to the edge of his play pen, waited for the caregiver to lift him up and out, and took my hand right after I offered it to him. We were able to take him all the way down to his playroom without any tears this time! B definitely became more comfortable and confident around us. He didn’t mind walking and playing around the room. He LOVED throwing the ball with Papa! His smile would get so big after a great throw—and there were many. He has a great arm!



We noticed he’s also very particular with certain things and really likes things a certain way. (hmmm….sounds familiar….)His stacking cups had to be in the right order, once the music on his Baby Einstein toy stopped, he had to press the button to make it start immediately again, and when it was time to go he had to help put the toys back into my bag. He’s just so precious!

I realized today that I truly love nothing more than seeing these kiddos smile and laugh. Each time I see a toothy grin or hear their giggles I feel like I’ve won the lottery. Maybe this is a “Mama” feeling…?

8 comments:

melissia said...

well sounds like the whole family is becoming used to each other...THAT IS AWESOME.....

Laurie said...

So glad that everything is going so well - the pictures of "B" and "C" are totally melting my heart!!!

....amazing architecture in the picture of you on the staircase!

Sloane said...

It just keeps getting better and better! My love to the four of you :o)

JerricaSykes said...

that absolutely is the "mama" feeling! We love your guys and are reading daily...and crying daily lol!

Dana said...

Oh....just Happy...Happy Happy Happy!....Tears of joy for you all..:D

Ber Bolton said...

Okay so your blog is consuming my life :) I check it only 50 million times a day!!! My heart is so full of happiness for the four of you! And, yes, that's exactly the mama feeling...you've got it and there's no going back. :) And not by the first of the year?? Well, we will just see about that...I'm gonna be talking to THE Man in charge! :) Love from BJ & Ber to you!

K said...

I find myself checking many times a day for updates. Here's praying that you can get them home as soon as possible!!!

Unknown said...

My heart is smiling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...